MoneyHelp is a not-for-profit service provided by the Consumer Action Law Centre.  MoneyHelp is supported by the Victorian and Australian Governments. It provides free, confidential and independent financial counselling advice to Victorians who are experiencing financial difficulty.

MoneyHelp is a suite of products and services comprising:

  • a free* phone financial counselling service (including an interpreter service);
  • a website (;
  • a poster, flyer and wallet card;
  • an information brochure; and
  • a series of fact sheets.

MoneyHelp is a service of the Consumer Action Law Centre, a community legal centre that provides free legal advice and representation to vulnerable and disadvantaged consumers. Consumer Action Law Centre is based in Melbourne, Australia.

Funding for MoneyHelp is provided by the Victorian Government.

The MoneyHelp website and publications have been prepared by Consumer Affairs Victoria, Department of Justice, with cooperation and assistance from the Consumer Action Law Centre, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, Centrelink, the Australian Taxation Office, Kildonan Uniting Care, Incolink, the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations and Jobwatch.

Consumer Affairs Victoria gratefully acknowledges the contributions of these parties.

The material on this website is provided as a general guide only, and does not constitute legal advice.

Please read our Privacy Statement here. Please read our Complaints and Feedback Procedure here.

Note: MoneyHelp is not a money lending service.


Back to top

How to use this site

The MoneyHelp website offers multi-entry points for people who want information, tools and tips regarding the management of their finances and debts.

You can use MoneyHelp to work out your income and expenses, prioritise your debts, learn about hardship programs and compare available payment options.

The site is designed to allow you to find information of specific relevance to you. If you want to know your options with credit card debt or mortgage payments for instance, you can go directly to these sections. Or maybe you want to check your rights regarding child support payments or your utility bills.

If you are a Victorian and want additional information about your specific situation, or if it all simply gets too hard or complicated, you can contact MoneyHelp’s free* financial counselling service.

More information about help for people experiencing financial difficulty who live outside Victoria.

The MoneyHelp promotional materials including booklets, wallet cards, flyers and posters can be ordered using the online order form.

*Calls from mobile phones may incur a fee from the mobile phone carrier.